Welcome to another Cannabiswikipedia post where we'll be answering the question; "What is kief?" Kief in essence is the pollen of the cannabis plant, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's deal with the topic in detail.
What is Kief?
Cannabis naturally produces a fine substance in the form of powder that is known as kief. This unprocessed powder is quite sticky and can be yellow, brown or even green in color. What is Kief? It is super potent because it derives from the part of the flower of Cannabis that has a very high concentration of cannabinoids. Kief is particularly versatile and some even mix it with tobacco. It is for recreational but also medical use.
When Cannabis is flowering, it is covered with densely-packed, fine crystalline hairs known as trichomes. The role of trichomes is to protect the plant against insects and plagues and produces a strong smell and a bad taste. But for cannabis users trichomes play an important role as it is packed with cannabinoids, including THC and CBD and more. In order to get the kief, the cannabis flower can be rubbed against a small screen to collect as much trichomes as possible. Kief collected like that is about 50% THC by weight. For recreational use, the kief powder can be sprinkled on top of ground Cannabis in a pipe or joint to increase the potency.
For medicinal purposes these cannabinoids produce all the therapeutic effects from pain relief, relaxing muscle spasms and rigidness, and combatting insomnia. Because kief is like the pollen of the plant, each strain will have its own composition of kief and in order to know what would suit your medical problem best, would be wise to look into what strain to use for what medical condition.
Cannabis strains for Nausea –
- Indica strains – Lavender, Chemo
- Hybrid strains- Black Widow, Three Kings, Thin Mint Girls Scout Cookies
- Sativa Strains – Allen Wrench, Trinity, Jack The Ripper
- Cannabis strains for Chronic Pain –
- Indica strains – 5th Element, Night Nurse
- Hybrid strains- Jane Doe, El-Na, White Siberian
- Sativa Strains- Lemon G, Shaman, Kali Mist
Cannabis strains for Migraines and Headaches –
- Indica Strains – Blackberry Kush, Northern Lights, Black Water
- Hybrid Strains – Dutch Treat, LSD, Animal Cookies, Cinderella 99
- Sativa Strains – Chocolope, Super Lemon Haze, Amnesia
- Cannabis Strains for Anxiety, Depression and Stress
- Indica Strains- God’s Gift, 9 Pound Hammer, LA Confidential
- Hybrid Strains – AK-47, Blue Dream, Flo, Mango Kush
- Sativa Strains – Lamb’s Bread, Casey Jones, Strawberry Cough
- Cannabis Strains for Eating Disorders-
- Indica Strains – Hash Plant, Sweet Tooth, Iced Widow, Corn Bread
- Hybrid Strains – Appalachia, Marionberry Kush
- Sativa Strains – Full Moon, Asian Fantasy
The higher the THC levels are the more potent Kief would be.
Additional uses for Kief – Apart from topping up a joint, it could also be added to a morning cup of coffee. The heat of the coffee will activate the cannabinoids and an effect should be felt after about 15 minutes or so. Kief butter can also be made in a similar way Cannabutter is made. Kief can also be converted to Hash. When heat is applied to Kief, it breaks the resin glands that in turn change the consistency, taste and color and the pressurized kief is then called hash.