Today we're going to be talking about an infusion technique well known in the cannabis community. You are probably asking yourself, what is cannabutter? Well, today we'll be revealing it all for you!
What is Cannabutter?
Why is Cannabutter so popular?
Apart from the psychoactive effect when using it for recreational purposes, it is also worthwhile looking to the benefits it provides. Some patients prefer to use edibles instead of smoking or vaping when it comes to treating there problems. The main reason is that the effect is more intense and long-lasting. The effect is normally delayed and could take from 30 to 90 minutes to show because it has to be digested before it enters the bloodstream. Then, according to how much was consumed and what the body weight of a person is, the effect can last from 4 to 12 hours.
The benefits of Cannabutter lie in the properties found in the cannabinoids and other compounds and could almost be seen as the oil that lubricates our systems to bring homeostasis. It is softer on the throat for those who do not like to smoke. Cannabutter is also quite easy to make and can be made from any part of the cannabis plant. It is specifically helpful for patients that suffer from respiratory problems or asthma and lung diseases who want to use cannabis for insomnia, as a pain reliever and more. It is also very useful in any edibles and can be used to cook, bake and spread with. As mentioned above, Cannabutter can be very potent and great care needs to be taken because the effect is delayed and too much can have an unpleasant effect.
How to make Cannabutter is quite simple. The main focus is to decarboxylate the THC to have the desired effect. In order to do it, the grinded amount of cannabis should be spread on a bake sheet and put in the oven for an hour on a low heat. When the process is done, the selected amount is used to infuse the butter. A slow-cooker is excellent to make the butter, but it could also be prepared on the stove. Both methods would be explained.
What is Needed to Make Cannabutter?
1 lb. unsalted butter
1 cup water (add more at any time if needed)
1 ounce ground cannabis flower or 1 ½ ounce quality trim (This amount will leave potent butter, if you desire less potent butter, lower the content)
Top Stove Method
- Put one cup of water and 1 lb. of butter in pot or sauce pan. Melt the butter and simmer on low. Add water to regulate temperature and help the butter from not burning
- As butter starts melting, add ground cannabis
- Keep the heat low and let the mixture simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Prevent the butter from boiling.
Slow Cooker Method
- Turn slow cooker on low and add 1 cup of water, 1 lb. of butter and ground cannabis
- Cover slow cooker with lid and let simmer on low for 8 to 24 hours. It can be stirred occasionally. The longer it simmers, the more potent it would be and the more cannabinoids would be infused.
For Both Methods:
- After simmering the desired time, pour mixture into a glass-refrigerator safe container, using a strainer. Like cheese cloth, or very fine mesh, to strain out all plant products.