Welcome to another CannabisWikipedia post. Today we'll be covering the question, "How can cannabis help multiple sclerosis?" This is a vast topic, so we'll just jump right into it.
How Cannabis Can Help Multiple Sclerosis
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is an autoimmune disorder of the central nervous system. Interestingly enough it is one of the most encountered debilitating neurological diseases under young people. Millions of people all over the world suffer from MS. Up until now no cure for this disease is found and the symptoms vary from muscle spasticity, fatigue, vision problems, vertigo and numbness. Doctors have found ways to slow down the progression, but they have discovered no cure yet. Patients are looking for alternative ways and this is how cannabis can help multiple sclerosis.
What is MS exactly?
MS is an autoimmune disorder where the body’s immune system by mistake attacks healthy cells and tissue in especially the spinal cord and brain. The immune system attacks the fatty substance (myelin) that forms a protective sheath on the nerve fibers. Because of the myelin being damaged, scar tissues are formed and this is called sclerosis. The damage starts in the myelin but overtime spreads to the nerve fibers where it disrupts the nerve impulses and causes a variety of symptoms where pain and difficulty to control the body the most obvious is.
Symptoms of MS
Symptoms vary to the severity of nerve damage and the extent of the damage done. In the beginning the symptoms are lighter and sometimes treatment is not necessary yet, but as it progresses, the symptoms worsen and definite treatment is necessary. Potential symptoms are:
- Numbness and tingling
- Loss of balance
- Blurred or double vision over a prolonged time
- Lack of coordination
- Slurred speech
- Eye discomfort and partial to complete vision loss
- Difficulty eating
- Sudden paralysis
- Problems with processing thoughts and thinking
- Bladder control
- Loss of dexterity
- Muscle spasms
How Cannabis Can Help MS
As the human body has an endocannabinoid system and as the cannabinoids in Cannabis reacts perfectly to the Receptors in the endocannabinoid system, THC and CBD specifically play a vital role in the treatment of MS.
- Muscle Spasticity gets reduced with cannabis treatment of THC and CBD. The anti-inflammatory effects of Cannabis are greatly responsible for suppressing the immune system.
- Anti-inflammatory – as MS causes damage and inflammation to the myelin , the physical symptoms are quite harsh and cannabis acts as an anti-inflammatory and helps to reduce swelling immune response
- Pain relief- Cannabis helps to relief pain making MS sufferers cope better
- Depression- THC and CBD help with the relief of depression
- Anti-spasmodic- Cannabis has the ability to reduce the frequency of spasms and muscle contractions
- Insomnia- Cannabis helps to relax a person suffering from MS
- Abdominal problems- Cannabis helps with stomach pain, constipation and incontinence.
Although there is currently no cure for MS, it is proven that cannabis can help a person suffering by relieving the symptoms. Many studies show that there is significant improvement with regards to the symptoms mentioned above. It slows down the progress of MS and gives the patient a better change to live life to the fullest.